Notify Message
Forums
Page 1
Search
#9914114 Aug 22, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Member
307 Posts
Hello everybody,

Those of you who have been following the AA forums actively will have noticed the increasing amount of 'Omg I've been hacked!' posts. This ranges from people losing all their items, gold and cash points on their account, to people getting banned for spamming/botting while they haven't logged in for days/weeks, to people being charged on their creditcard/paypal for additional cash-points, or even additional founder packs.

Whether this is due to a 'leak' in on Trion's side, poor choice of password (too easy), or people being .. well, stupid.. with the websites they visit / programs they download, it is becoming an increasing problem.

So, I would once again like to remind and encourage all AAR members to SECURE YOUR ACCOUNTS properly.

There are at least 4 things you SHOULD really do in order to keep your account as safe as possible:


1: Verify your e-mail adress; making sure your e-mail adress has a DIFFERENT password than your game account!
2: Make sure you add two 'difficult' security questions to your account, possible writing them down somewhere on paper.
3: Get the Glyph (RIFT) Authenticator, and link it to your acocunt!

All these settings can be found under https://store.trionworlds.com/account/security/security-flow
If your page doesn't look like this, you are NOT fully protected:


Last but not least, even if your account is as safe as possible, just in case someone DOES get on it, I strongly recommend REMOVING your saved payment methods, as these contain enough information (usually) for hackers to make new purchases.. These can be found under https://glyph.trionworlds.com/account/payment/payment-method-flow.action


Thanks for reading! Keep your accounts safe!
+3
#9914172 Aug 22, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Member
67 Posts
Done and Done :)
+1
#9915151 Aug 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Member
307 Posts
#9914172 Zackarius wrote:

Done and Done :)



good man! -shameless bump-
+1
#9915157 Aug 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM · Edited over 7 years ago
Admin
1197 Posts
Added an announcement to the site directing folks to this thread.
+1
#9915213 Aug 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Member
981 Posts
completed every step but the authentication one as i dont own a smart phone so cant do that part....trion should do keyfob type authenticators like ff14 has then nobody would have a reason to not add that step.
+1
#9916179 Aug 23, 2014 at 06:49 AM
Member
307 Posts
#9915213 Calli Tahmo wrote:

completed every step but the authentication one as i dont own a smart phone so cant do that part....trion should do keyfob type authenticators like ff14 has then nobody would have a reason to not add that step.



Yea, although I can 'understand' their reasons for assuming mostly everyone has a type of smartphone these days.. It sucks for the very very few that don't though.. You could get something like.. "BlueStacks", which is an android emulator for PC.. but then you'd still have all your security stuff on 1 machine, which.. I suppose would kinda beat the purpose.
+1
#9916424 Aug 23, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Member
37 Posts
Huh... for some reason I can't get the Rift authenticator. When I click the link in my account to add the authentication, some error message appears (page not found whatever...). Can anyone help please? Might this be a temporary problem?

+1
#9916451 Aug 23, 2014 at 08:45 AM
Member
307 Posts
#9916424 Redfern wrote:

Huh... for some reason I can't get the Rift authenticator. When I click the link in my account to add the authentication, some error message appears (page not found whatever...). Can anyone help please? Might this be a temporary problem?



I'm guessing it's a temp. problem.. I've added one for my housemate yesterday without an issue.. If the problem persists, I suggest you contact support about it; they might have a sollution. :)
+1
#9916853 Aug 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Member
118 Posts
Huh, weird, I only JUST noticed my email hadnt been verified despite getting all the other alerts and stuff. thanks for the update.
They all say he's a bit "Touched in the head" .... Those closer to him KNOW he's been hit in the head too many times.
+1
#9917002 Aug 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Member
307 Posts
#9916853 Ardenn Ner'aia wrote:

Huh, weird, I only JUST noticed my email hadnt been verified despite getting all the other alerts and stuff. thanks for the update.



I noticed the same thing; that I was already getting e-mail stuff.. But I think that if you verify your mail adress, you can actually use it to RECOVER your account, if you lose it or the password etc..
+1
#9922884 Aug 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Member
307 Posts
~Bump for all the new people who didn't read it yet~
+1
#9928705 Aug 26, 2014 at 07:57 AM
Member
14 Posts
There are those of us who live out in the boonies or others who choose not to have a smartphone yet. I was wondering if anyone out there has worked out an alternative yet for getting the RIFT authenticator and running through another media rather than a phone.

If no one has, one of my guildies discovered this: https://code.google.com/p/winauth/


With some phenagling it works with the RIFT authenticator as well. The link was also forwarded directly to Trion's support teams following a guild-member's recent hacking, and they're looking into it as well as an option outside of a phone-app. I'll post more as I know more, if anyone's interested.
+1
#9928868 Aug 26, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Member
307 Posts
#9928705 Phejdra wrote:

There are those of us who live out in the boonies or others who choose not to have a smartphone yet. I was wondering if anyone out there has worked out an alternative yet for getting the RIFT authenticator and running through another media rather than a phone.

If no one has, one of my guildies discovered this: https://code.google.com/p/winauth/


With some phenagling it works with the RIFT authenticator as well. The link was also forwarded directly to Trion's support teams following a guild-member's recent hacking, and they're looking into it as well as an option outside of a phone-app. I'll post more as I know more, if anyone's interested.



like I mentioned earlier:
Yea, although I can 'understand' their reasons for assuming mostly everyone has a type of smartphone these days.. It sucks for the very very few that don't though.. You could get something like.. "BlueStacks", which is an android emulator for PC
+1
#9985636 Sep 07, 2014 at 07:33 PM
Member
70 Posts
Bumping for all important reminder approaching launch.
+1
#9985754 Sep 07, 2014 at 08:20 PM
Member
307 Posts
#9985636 Ajit Song wrote:

Bumping for all important reminder approaching launch.



Good thinking, Thanks!
+1
#9985832 Sep 07, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Member
981 Posts
the new ip authentication added to glyph should add another wall between your account and hackers, of course you should still do everything else recommended to make damn sure.
+1
#9985908 Sep 07, 2014 at 09:23 PM
Member
45 Posts
Yea ive had the authenticator since i was dabbling in Rift more often in the past. I will grab authenticators like that for any game i am playing that offers them, be it a physical or mobile version. I invest to much time and effort and then money generally to leave my mmo accounts exposed when I can avoid it lol.

Good putting up a reminder for folks that may be unaware of it tho. As long as my account stays secure and i stay invested in AA, i shall give them $'s!
"Between Light & Dark, I walk the Twilight"
+1
Page 1